Tips for Living Green for Apartment Dwellers
Many people are surprised to learn that it can actually be somewhat easy to live green while occupying an apartment for rent in Orange County. While many people know it’s simple to do when a person owns his or her own place, it is also true that those who rent can also do their part for the earth with green apartment living habits. Following are some of the top ways to live green, even when living in an apartment:
- Don’t waste balcony/patio space. This area of your apartment is the very best place to grow your own vegetables and herbs – you don’t have to actually have a garden in the ground, and you might be surprised at just how many people use pots instead! Some of the most popular herbs people grow in pots include everything from mint, parsley, and rosemary to thyme, basil, and others. Vegetables include peppers, tomatoes, spinach, pole beans, chard, eggplant, and more.
- Pay attention to the use of your machines. Wait for your clothes washer and dryer to have a full load before turning them on for a cycle. The same goes for your dishwasher. You can easily make your own detergents for a safer, more natural clean, too. Google some ingredients you’ll need, and you’ll have affordable, clean, green detergent right at your disposal.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. Be sure to use the recycling programs available in your apartment community. You can also use neighborhood drop-off and collection locations, and better yet, if you need to transport recyclables there, take turns and carpool with neighbors to cut back on vehicle emissions.
- On a similar note, be sure to use and re-use everything you can. While it’s true that your storage space may be somewhat limited, green apartment living is all about making the very most out of all your space! Refill plastic water bottles, use the containers your food comes in as Tupperware, use cloth towels in the kitchen instead of paper towels, and save those grocery bags to take back to the store to use next time, for example.
- Watch your utility usage. Be sure that any time you notice a running toilet, leaky faucet, or pipe problems that you get them fixed as soon as possible. One of the best advantages of renting is that you don’t have to pay for those repairs, so there is no reason not to speak up about them. Install faucet blocks and shower heads that are designed for low flow (low flow does not mean low pressure, so don’t worry!) and you’ll also notice a decrease in your bills.
When it comes to green apartment living, there are actually dozens of things you can do to help the planet and cut your own living expenses, too. Take advantage of every opportunity you have to reuse, recycle, purchase less, and retain more. From switching out your ordinary light bulbs for CFL bulbs to air-drying your clothing instead of using the dryer, every little lifestyle change helps!
If you’re looking for luxury apartments for rent in Anaheim, California, look no further than Vivere Flats, now offering 6 weeks of free rent! Learn more about the community and stop by for a visit today!